Sunday, April 22, 2007

A New Direction

I was struck by some words by a well-known writer: "Every great and original writer, in proportion as he is great or original, must himself create the taste by which he is to be relished." When I turned these words inward, toward our blog, I realized that while we are great, we are rarely original, leaving us with a familiar and oft-experienced taste, one that struggles to be relished.

I offer a new direction for our blog, one where we are the creators, the thinkers, the debaters. Let our voices be heard, for they are far more delicious and ripe. Let us propose our own ideas about science, our own thoughts, whether whimsical or weighty, simplistic or complex. Let The Butthole be a forum for a group of young scientists to explore the beginning of their scientific minds and careers. Let this blog be Us.

As was once said: "By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote." And so shall we. But let the quoted be previously unquoted. Let us call out those articles and studies that do not regularly receive media attention. Let this be a place for the unheard of and creative, not the trite and mundane.

If we are one day charged as owing debts to other authors, may someone reply: "Yet [The Biology Butthole] was more original than [its] originals. [It] breathed upon dead bodies and brought them into life."

4 comments:

Dave said...

A few things:

1) I agree that almost everything on our blog to date is more or less a link to another blog, or to an article that was discovered via a link on another blog. But really, I consider the blog a way for me to tip you all off to something I found interesting without having to e-mail you all about it; it's not like more than a handful of people outside the seven of us actually read this anyway (a crying shame, but the truth). So originality is great, but I believe the "trite and mundane" stuff which you reference can also have a place on the Butthole.

2) "Let us propose our own ideas about science, our own thoughts, whether whimsical or weighty, simplistic or complex."

Since I'm not entirely sure what you mean...care to set the ball rolling?

3) I prefer to read the title of this post as "A Nude Erection".

Erin said...

There are a few people outside the seven of us that do read this. My mother, father and sister for example. I have also told everyone I work with about it, and a few of them have taken the time to check it out.

More importantly, how can we know whether other people read the blog when we've steered it so far away from interactive discussion?

Scott said...

Dave, should you find something wildly interesting on other blogs that you want to post here, then fantastic, post it. Anti-oxidants still being good for you is not one of those things.

My point is that this blog shouldn't be seven people talking independently about stuff they've seen other places that they think is cool. I thought we created it in order to be a forum for interactive discussion, as Erin says. Rather than recreating other blogs on ours, we can discuss the world of science and create our own blog.

As for the ball rolling, it would appear that you and Christina have got it going at a lovely pace. I'll throw my balls at you when the proper inspiration strikes.

Paper Doll said...

This is y'all's blog so I have no actual say, but I personally find it more entertaining to debate things with you guys through commenting on stuff. That way, I have more opportunities to make lewd comments.